Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The art of blowing snot rockets

While I was on my ride today (31.2 miles), I started thinking about the things triathletes, or runners or cyclists, do that would not be considered proper dinner table conversation. I of course thought of this while blowing what was probably my fifth snot rocket of the ride. Yep, great meal time talk! Mom is so proud.
I credit my nearly flawless rocket and hocker technique to my two older brothers. Who knew those spitting contests when we were kids would actually be useful one day?! Maybe they should add this to school curricula... Life skills.
I also credit yoga. Yes, yoga. There is a specific type of breathing in yoga call in which you breathe through one nostril while holding the other closed and then for the breath out, you switch nostrils. It is a great form of breathing and very relaxing. And who knew it had the added benefit of perfecting the snot rocket? 

Some key points to remember when launching away... make sure you turn your head, just enough so that your chin is at your shoulder therefore allowing the to be blown nostril to be over your shoulder and out of the way of your body or jersey. Blow down and backward... you don't want that shit flying back in your face. Speaking of, it would be nice to first check to see if anyone is behind you... the only thing worse than getting hit with your own snot is getting hit with someone else's (one of the benefits of riding alone is not having to worry about this). Sometimes not all of it gets out. That's okay. That is really what your gloves are for. HA! you thought your gloves were to make your hands more comfortable!! Kleenex in disguise my friends. 
If you're afraid someone might see, or hear, you blow a rocket... get over it! They're doing it too! 

Happy riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment